Lesson 2 – Plan Your Content
In this lesson, you will learn how to plan content for your website or blog.
Training Resources You Will Need
- Free Content Management Course Lessons
- Online WordPress Tutorials
- WordPress Video Courses
- Downloadable Guides
Before You Start…
Make sure to complete Lesson 1 – Your WordPress Site.
Your Content Strategy
Creating effective content for your website or blog that will help to improve your results requires having a number of systems, processes, and strategies in place.
Ideally, you will have these in place before even writing your first article.
For example, you need to:
- Have a clear business vision and business plan – so you know what to focus your time and resources on.
- Understand your available resources – e.g. who is going to create the content, keep it up-to-date, manage and respond to comments, etc.?
- Research keywords, key phrases, and topics (to understand what your target audience is searching for) and have some knowledge of basic Search Engine Optimization (SEO) principles (to make sure that search engines can index your content)
- Organize your content to address different user needs (e.g. content for prospects vs content for existing customers).
- Figure out what kind of content your audience needs and wants to consume and how you are going to deliver it to them.
- Come up with new content ideas and topics that will keep visitors engaging with your site regularly and ultimately help your business fulfill its vision and business objectives.
If you start adding content to your site without developing a content strategy or a content plan first, or without even doing some basic keyword and topic research, you will soon find that your site will become an unwieldy and unmanageable “mess.”
For example, some of the common problems that sites without a content plan experience include:
- Multiple posts or articles covering the same topic (duplicate content)
- Poor site user experience, especially when users try to navigate your site and quickly find the content they are looking for.
- Missed SEO and linking opportunities.
For the above reasons and many more, we recommend investing some time and effort into developing at least a basic content strategy and plan that is aligned with the vision of your business and helps it achieve its objectives.
The tutorials and resources below will help you do this.
Free Content Management Course
Learn how to develop a content strategy and content plan, and how to manage your content effectively with this comprehensive and completely free course: ContentManagementCourse.com
Web Content Creation Course
Content Marketing Tutorials
To learn how to build an online business presence strategically, download this guide: The Small Business Digital Manager
For help with your content marketing strategy, see the online tutorials below:
- Content Marketing With WordPress
- Content Idea Generation Tools
- Content Writing Tools
- How To Create eBooks and Online Courses
- Content Marketing With Videos
- Content Marketing With eBooks
- User-Generated Content
- Testimonials And User Reviews
- Content Marketing With Podcasts
- Content Marketing With Infographics
- Content Marketing With Memes & Cartoons
- Using Ready-Made Content
- Using Third-party Content
- Using Private Label Rights (PLR) Content
- Rewriting Content
- Rewriting Tools
The video courses below will help you with many additional areas of content planning, such as doing keyword research, developing content to fit your brand, outsourcing content creation, and more:
- Content Marketing
- Outsourcing Digital Services
- Keyword Research
- WordPress SEO
- Digital Branding
- Digital Product Creation
- How To Create Engaging Presentations
- How To Profit With PLR & Resell Rights Products
- Develop a content strategy for your website that will help your business meet its vision and objectives.
- Develop a content plan that will help to explain to your prospects why they should be doing business with you (i.e. overcome their concerns and objections, identify and solve their problems, etc.) and train your customers to better understand how to use and benefit from your products and services.
- Review the existing content on your website and identify areas of improvement (i.e. clearer communication, better SEO, better product or service descriptions, more FAQs, etc.)
- Do keyword research and create a list of post/article topics for your website, blog, newsletter, etc.
- Create a regular content publishing schedule for your website (e.g. weekly, fortnightly, monthly, etc.) and decide how many new posts/articles you will publish during this period.
- Assess your resources and decide who/how you will create this content.
- Begin the process of planning your content topics, titles, etc.
- Go through the above tutorials before proceeding to the next lesson.
What You Have Learned
Content Marketing is a very broad topic and an entirely separate subject on its own.
Hopefully, after completing the above lesson, you now have a better understanding of why you need to develop a content strategy and a content plan before creating content for your website or blog, and the different kinds of content you can create for your audience.
Index Of Lessons
Updated: April 11th, 2023